Mountains and Snow,
as far as the eye can see
Ski- & Winter Holidays in Montafon, Vorarlberg
Winter in Montafon means holidays in a skiing paradise. On over 225 kilometers of pistes for all ability levels, skiing is especially good fun. 10 ski schools guarantee you will be able to slice down the slopes like a pro before you know it. Gentle winter tourism isn’t neglected here either: Montafon offers tourers and winter hikers some extraordinary opportunities.
In addition to that, natural sled runs with lifts, a manmade ice rink for skating and “ice stock”, kilometers-upon-kilometers of footpaths along with sleigh rides guarantee all kinds of entertainment away from the pistes as well.
Winter Activities – an overview
The Silvretta Montafon ski area offers ideal conditions and all levels of difficulty for every ability level: mainly broad pistes for carvers, 7 very steep runs for skilled skiers, off-piste for experts, along with bunny hills and a KinderLand for youngsters who are just beginning their skiing “careers”. The Hochjoch and Nova ski areas are connected by means of the Grasjochbahn lift. 330 snow cannons guarantee excellent snowmaking coverage on over 70% of the pistes.
- Hochjoch-Totale: 12 km in length • 1700 m elevation change
Be one of the first to get on the gondola at 7:20 in the morning and have the piste all to yourself. Dropping a total elevation of 1700 meters, the HochjochTotale is actually the longest uninterrupted valley run in all of Vorarlberg. Every Wednesday, including a hearty mountain breakfast.
- Silvretta Ski Safari – an unforgettable day: The Silvretta Ski Safari begins with an extraordinary lift ride on the Vermuntbahn and in the tunnel bus up to Silvretta-Bielerhöhe.
The Silvretta Montafon ski area is very family- and children-friendly. Above all, skiers big and small love the wide selection of broad pistes. The ski school, with its lovable mascot Graf Hugo, makes learning to ski “child’s play”. Areas designed especially for young skiers are scattered throughout the ski area, providing “magic carpets” for getting to the top of the hills. In addition to the public conveyor lift on the Kapell, numerous others are available at the ski schools themselves.
- Hugo’s Bunte Bergwelt Hochjoch: This spaciously designed children’s area operated by Hochjoch ski school lies right next to the mountain station of the Hochjoch- and Zamangbahn at 1850 m above sea level – gleich neben dem Bergrestaurant Kapell.
- Graf Hugo’s Interactive Piste on the Hochjoch: At various stations, Graf Hugo’s fun & informative piste on the Hochjoch explains various phenomena of the mountain world. A playful learning opportunity for sure!
Seven very steep, carefully selected runs in the ski area will definitely get your attention, and your adrenaline flowing! And that high you sense once you have conquered them is a feeling you won’t soon forget! In addition to that, Silvretta Montafon also boasts variety-packed freeride terrain. We suggest stopping by the Freeride Center at the Grasjochbahn, where they will be happy to provide you with useful information about local conditions. The freeride runs and ski routes into Novatal are especially popular. The “Burg” fixed-cable climb provides access to two beautiful freeride areas.
- Piste No. 44: 1.6 km long • 450 m elevation change
- OFF-Piste Camp: in January and March with ski guide (please refer to our hotel package)
- Snowpark Montafon: Snowpark Montafon is one of the leading snow parks in Austria. Adventure-hungry winter sports fans will definitely find what they are looking for at this spacious facility that’s maintained daily. The Freda Bahn (double chairlift) quickly carries freestylers back to the top. In this snow park, you will also find a fun slope with banked curves, moguls and small elements.
Cross-country skiing continues to grow in popularity. Whether as a sporting challenge using “skating” technique, or simply as a leisurely way to explore the countryside. Thanks to countless trails with a wide range of elevation, difficulty and panoramas, you will have everything you need for a sporty, rejuvenating winter holiday. In total, Montafon boasts around 100 km of trails for “classic” skiers and around 33 km for “skaters”. Between St. Gallenkirch and Gaschurn as well as in Schruns, 30 km of trails are groomed daily when snow conditions permit. In addition, in the evening we have the 6.5 km-long floodlit Hochmontafon trail from Gaschurn to St. Gallenkirch.
- Kristberg: 11 km-long scenic trail (only for classic technique) on the sunny plateau above Schruns Kristberg. Easy climbs constantly alternate with flat sections. After completing the loop on the Wild Ried, you will be able to “take the weight off” on one of the benches and enjoy the wonderful scenery. As a service for XCers, you will find a heated changing room with lockers for clothes along with two waxing stations at the mountain terminal of the Montafoner Kristbergbahn lifts.
Sledding, marvelous wintertime fun for the whole family. Trudge to the top to warm up, then hop on your sled and race back down to the valley at high speed. Before you know it, everybody will feel like a kid again. Montafon offers 6 different sledding hills, two of which are also illuminated after dark.
- Silvretta Montafon Kapell: 5.5 km-long, from Kapell to Kropfen, easy, ideal for families!
- Golm Latschau: 3 km-long, challenging and floodlit sledding hill from Latschau to Vandans, with 21 curves dropping 350 vertical meters.
- Silvretta Montafon Garfrescha: at 5.5 km, the longest floodlit nighttime sledding hill in Vorarlberg. Every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday from 6 – 9:30 p.m.
Winter hiking with or without snowshoes – a special experience and wonderful way to encounter nature. As you make your way through forests blanketed in snow and along countless cleared winter hiking paths, you will feel completely invigorated and rejuvenated. Various tours are possible including Golm/Latschau, Gauertal, Kristberg and Bielerhöhe.
- Silvretta-Bielerhöhe: We heartily recommend the 8 km-long winter hiking tour leading to the Wiesbadener Hütte, with the Piz Buin before your eyes!
In addition to classic skiing, in Montafon you can also enjoy ice skating, ice hockey, sleigh rides, outings on the Skifox, sledding, snow biking, snow blading, snowcat rides, paragliding, Alpine Coaster on the Golm and much more.
- For adventurers big and small – nerve-tingling excitement in the dark: First enjoy a hike by torchlight through the forest, then an exhilarating zipline ride in the pitch black across the lake. A nighttime adventure on the Golm you won’t ever forget.
Rebates on rental sporting equipment for guests of the Alpenhotel
Renting your top-quality winter sports gear from our rental partners is quick and easy. And you’ll receive a 10% rebate! Go ahead and reserve your equipment in advance, from the comfort of your own home, then pick it up once you get here.